Diode laser energy can be applied superficially, as well as in open and endoscopic surgery. Thin flexible fibers deliver required amounts of energy into the body in a minimally-invasive technique. Both cutting and coagulation are performed in a single step reducing bleeding and decreasing necrosis as compared to other surgical techniques. Patients experience less pain, faster healing and quicker recovery. Many procedures can be performed without general anesthesia, reducing surgical risk as well as treatment time and cost.
Being absorbed by hemoglobin as well as water, this wavelength is optimized to allow resection of highly perfused tissue and simultaneous coagulation of the adjacent vessels. The excellent hemostatic effect of the 980 nm laser light leads to significantly reduced intra-operative bleeding and reduces patient and physician stress.
Diode Lasers can also be used for a wide variety of canine surgical procedures. These procedures include:
- bladder stones breakup
- cartilage removal in the lower hock joints
- Cutaneous Tumor Removal
- Dorsal Displacement Of The Soft Palate
- Dorsal Displacement Of The Soft Palate
- laparoscopic procedures to seal vessels and prevent hemorrhage
- Progressive Ethmoid Hematoma
- Respiratory Masses
- Skin Grafts
- Skin Tumors
- Upper Respiratory Tract Cysts & Masses
- VocalCordectomy And Ventriculectomy
Reduced Pain: The Diowave™ Laser seals nerve endings as it cuts through tissue; this reduces the amount of pain the patient feels during and after surgery.
Reduced Bleeding: The Diowave™ Laser cauterizes and seals small blood vessels as it cuts; this laser energy achieves hemostasis and provides the surgeon with a bloodless surgical field in most procedures.
Reduced Swelling: Diowave™ laser surgery is minimally invasive, eliminating the tearing and bruising of tissue associated with traditional surgical methods; lymphatic vessels are also sealed.
Reduced Infection: Diowave™ Laser energy acts as an antibacterial agent by producing high temperatures, effectively eliminating microorganisms.
Quicker Recovery: Laser surgery provides much quicker recovery times by reducing swelling, lessening the chance of infection, reducing pain, and preventing blood loss.
- Ease of Use: Low space requirement due to compact design, the Diowave Laser is ideal for any setting not requiring special power or water as may be needed on some laser systems. The state-of-the-art high resolution color touch sensitive display provides a quick and easy interface to all system functions.
- Higher Power and Flexibility: Depending on the laser model and choices of 10, 15, 30 and 60 watts, the Diowave Lasers is ideal for surgery in both companion animals as well as in horses where higher energies are required. The extraordinary flexibility of this system offers:
- non-contact coagulation and vaporization
- Contact cutting
- Interstitial coagulation
- Equipped with an international-standard SMA connector
- Accommodates a variety of fiber sizes from 200, 400 and 600 microns
- Cost Effective and Higher Efficiency: Diowave Lasers use advanced diode technology that provide longer operating life and easy maintenance. The lasers are Self – Calibrating and designed to provide years of constant and reliable use.
- Multiple Surgical Capabilities: Laser surgery improves many surgical procedures by making them simpler and reducing risk. This enables surgeries that are not practical with conventional methods.
- Enhanced Visibility of the Surgical Field: The Diowave™ Laser seals capillaries and small blood vessels as it cuts, thereby dramatically reducing bleeding. This results in a much clearer and drier surgical site.
- Increased Precision and Control: The focal spot size of the beam may be adjusted down to a small fraction of a millimeter or expanded for a much wider coverage. The Diowave™ Laser may be set for rapid removal of relatively large tissue amounts, or adjusted to remove only one cell layer at a time.
- Reduction of Surgery Time: The hemostatic effect of the Diowave Laser and the improved visibility of the surgical field often reduce the duration of the surgery.
Horses recover more quickly from laser surgery than they do from standard surgical procedures. Laser surgery is less invasive than standard surgery, resulting in reduced bleeding as well as reduced risk of infection. As a result, horses go home to their owners much sooner and in much better condition, which makes horse owners as well as their horses much happier.